Sunday, November 22, 2009

Project Saturday




If there is one thing I never do on a Saturday, it is to go out and meet clients for work-related matters. I try not to have any appointments on weekends and public holidays so that I can spend time with my kids. And once in a blue moon, I will use a Saturday for my "Me" time.

So, yesterday, being a cool and wet Saturday and Dear was at work, the kids and I juz stayed at home lazing around. Well, not really. Aqil and Akmal were still revising for their Madrasah exam which takes place today. I was busy testing them with mock-up test questions. Had cooked Mee Goreng for lunch; something quick and easy for a lazy Saturday. Some time around 4pm, I had a sudden urge to eat donuts. Not those from Donut Empire but from my own kitchen. After checking the cabinet and fridge for the availability of the ingredients, I started my donut-making session. In-between, I was FB-ing as usual, when I saw Kak Ani uploaded photos of her freshly-baked choc-chip cookies. Her caption mentioned "superlicious choc-chip cookies...new recipe."...So, I put up a comment to ask for the recipe. In less than 5 minutes, I received it from her via FB-mail. I thanked her and told myself that I would bake these cookies either the next day (which is today) or on some other day as I had already started on my donuts. But the gatal-ness in me told me that I must bake it immediately. The kids were very excited cos they would have donuts and cookies to eat!

While waiting for the donut dough to rise, I mixed the ingredients for the cookies. All in all, it took me 3 hours to bake both munchies. Again, the gatal-ness in me told me to try out a new recipe for sugar icing. I did and it turned out well. Alhamdulillah...It was a Saturday well-spent. I'm always happy to see my kids happily and excitingly savouring whatever I whip up for them. Nothing beats home-cooked meals and home-baked delicacies by a mother to her loved ones. Not forgetting the husband who didn't come back last nite. If he can't come back again today, I shall have the donuts and cookies delivered to him tonight.

2 comments:

Supermumzy said...

Liz yr donnut look so yummy..Kak T really salute u pandai masak!and buat cake segala..:) And most important yr kid happy to help around. Selamat hari raya aidil adha.. To u and yr family..

Just Liz said...

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Adha to you and family too, Kak T.

I masak and buat kuih main-main aje. I'm happy to see my kids happy helping me and helping themselves by melahap-ing ;-)