Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Harrassment

It's not easy to be a salesperson. First and foremost, I have to be friendly. Okay, this is the easiest part because I am friendly by nature. I talk to everybody and anybody. If you are a CEO, I talk to you like how a CEO should be talked to. If you are a cleaner, I humble myself before you. If you are a couple, I focus my attention and eye-contact more towards the wife. If you are a man who meet me for presentation/closing/review/ on a one-to-one basis without your wife, I keep my professionalism, no matter how rich and/or how handsome you are. But what happens when my friendliness, as a female salesperson, is being viewed as FLIRTY? This is when trouble starts. No matter how I control my body language, my eye-contact and the way I speak, there will be some men who think that I'm flirting with them. URGH!!!

To the clients-to-be, it is very easy. I juz don't answer their calls or reply their sms-es simply because I'm not worried about any complaints since they are not my clients. That's the beauty of my job. Other than being flexible, I can also choose and reject clients...I reject every single request for lunch, tea, etc., by these men simply because I am not comfortable.

The tricky part is when some men are nice in the beginning, sign up for multiple policies, become my clients already and then...JENG JENG JENG!...I get harrassed! Most times, I get harrassed verbally but there are some brave ones who will try to touch my hand or my face or even suddenly get up to sit beside me. And these are married men! Men who send their wives to work, men who fetch their wives from work, men who make 2, 3, 4 or some 6 children with their wives, men who seem so dedicated to their families but yet, behind their wives, some of them already have "extra-curricular activities"...The worst part is when I have no choice but to tell them off in a nice but firm way, they become unhappy and lodge a complaint to my manager, saying that I'm not a good agent, I don't serve them promptly, I don't make time for portfolio-reviews whenever they want one, blah blah blah. Some even tell their wives that I am the one who flirt with them. Alamak! Ada yang botak, gemuk, buncit, pendek, selekeh, tua...You see me no up, man. I have my standard, you know. And that's how I got myself a charming husband, BODOH!

Funny...When they want to sign up with me, after my presentation, they would say that I've been the best because they could truly understand the concept because I explained very clearly to them, they know where their money will go to; unlike others who are always in a hurry to present juz because they want to close the sale quickly. But after a few months or for some, even weeks, when they start to harrass me (and let me be blunt here; it's actually sexual-harrassment) and I don't want to entertain their harrassments, I suddenly become a lousy agent, a lazy agent, blah blah blah...How sad is that?

2 comments:

Supermumzy said...

Weiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!! seram nya kena kacau dengan botak , pendek , tua, and selekeh...Kurang ajar eh liz.. geram kak T baca...

dia orang ingat beli policy dapat free body.. Eeeee!!!!

Tak care Liz never know yr work got this hazard!

Just Liz said...

Apa boleh buat, Kak T...Inilah jenis jantan Melayu yang kurang beriman. Dah ada isteri, buatlah hal ada isteri! If nak menggatal pun, agak-agaklah. Nasib dorang semua baik ah, I tak buat police report. Tapi dorang bilang bini dorang, konon nye I yang gatal. Tak ke geram??